You were admitted into our Accelerated Semester Online program – congratulations! Follow these EIGHT steps for success to prepare for your first day.
1. Reserve Your Seat
For Accelerated Semester Online courses, full payment is due within 48 hours after the acceptance letter has been received in order to secure a spot in your course. Please refer to the date on your acceptance letter to know your specific deposit deadline.
If you are a Laurel Springs student, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org confirming your intent to participate in the program within one week.
If you do not wish to accept your offer, please let us know via email so we can offer your seat to a waitlisted student.
In the rare event that a course must be cancelled, the student may choose a different course to attend or receive a full refund.
2. View the Important Dates and Deadlines
Please refer to the program you were admitted to and review the dates and deadlines.
3. Sign the Policies and Procedures Form
Please sign this form within 48 hours of making your payment. You and your parent/guardian must sign this form. Failure to complete this form will result in your inability to access your course.
4. Activate Your NetID
You must wait 14 business days after paying your deposit or confirming your seat to activate your NetID. Your NetID allows you to access your Syracuse University email address. Your program instructors will only be able to email you using your syr.edu email address, so don’t forget to check it often.
5. View the Technology, Textbook & Supply Requirements
Many programs have textbook and supply requirements. For an up-to-date list, visit your Blackboard page.
- Ensure that you have activated your NetID (you will have access 24 hours after NetID activation)
- Visit blackboard.syr.edu
- Login with your NetID and password
- Click on your class
Most course textbooks can be purchased via the SU Bookstore.
Set up the general required technology before you start your online program. You will need:
- Access to a computer or laptop with webcam
- Reliable internet access
- Space conducive for an online class
6. Visit Your Syracuse University Email Account
The Syracuse University email policy requires that all official university e-mail communications be sent to this @syr.edu email address- so be sure to check your Syracuse email OFTEN!
Your official email account is established in a system called SUMail. SUMail is managed by the University and utilizes Microsoft’s Office 365 cloud services. All official Syracuse University communication will be sent via email to your SUMail address.
To log into your SU Mail, go to:
- Type in your SUMail email address. Your SUMail email address is your NetID@syr.edu. For example if your NetID is xyzsmith your SUMail email address would be email@example.com
- Type in your password. SUmail uses the same password that you set up for your NetID. To manage your NetID, including passwords management, activation and two-factor authentication, visit netid.syr.edu.
Need to add SUMail to personal devices like your smartphone or tablet? Check out our step-by-step instructions on the SUMail Configurations page.
7. Request Additional Services (if needed)
If you are in need of special accommodations this summer, please complete the Center for Disability Resources Registration Form. Be sure to indicate that you are a pre-college student. You will be contacted by the Center for Disability Resources via email.
8. Log In to Blackboard to Access Your Course
Blackboard is the learning management system (LMS) that you will be using for your online course. Please access Blackboard BEFORE the start of your class to view your syllabus and additional information. You will need your NetID and password created in step 4 to log in. If you have trouble, follow the instructions here.