Veronica, Summer College student 2018

When you reflect upon your Syracuse University College experience, what memories come to mind?

Summer College introduced me to many other students that were just as passionate as I was about what we learned in the classroom. Being able to work together with other students on a shared passion is something that I haven’t had the chance to do at my small high school. I met amazing people, as the friends I made quickly became family. We still talk on a daily basis and keep one another up to date on our lives.

How did Summer College help with your future endeavors?

Attending Summer College with a class dedicated to my passion, I learned so much more than I thought I ever would. Coming back [home], I was able to teach my classmates as well as teachers about what I had learned during my two weeks. I started a photography club where I give lessons and assign projects to the students and faculty of my school who join. Being able to pass on what I learned from my two weeks at Summer College to others has been so rewarding, as it inspired me to create a space where we can all learn from one another.

What would you say/what advice would you give to prospective students and/or their parents?

I know it can be scary going off for two weeks to live with a bunch of strangers, but it is definitely an experience worth having that will teach you what it will be like when the time finally comes to live on your own–and it’s not as scary as it sounds! You have people all around you who are experiencing the same thing for the first time and you quickly make friends as you all take care of one another. It is definitely an experience worth having before going through the college application process, as it will also teach you what it is you’re looking for in a university.

Thank you for sharing, Veronica!